How I got Civ IV working on my Mac OS X with case-sensitive file system (HFS+ case-sensitive).
The basic trick is to create a new case-insensitive disk image using the disk utility tool in /Applications/Utilities. Do it with the following specs (taken from this blog post):
- Name: caseinsensitive (or any other lower-case name of your liking)
- Size: Custom 30 Gb (it will only use up the space you need anyway)
- Format: Mac OS Extended journaled (i e not case-sensitive)
- Encryption: None
- Partitions: No partition map
- Image format: Sparse bundle disk image (this makes sure you only use the space necessary)
Now you uninstall Civ IV from your regular drive (most probably from /Applications) by deleting these folders and files:
- "Civilization IV Gold" folder which contains the game applications
- "home folder\Documents\Civilization IV" folder
- "home folder\Documents\Civilization IV Warlords" folder if you have Civ IV Gold Ed.
- "home folder\Library\Application Support\Civilization IV" folder
- "home folder\Library\Application Support\Civilization IV Warlords" folder if you have Civ IV Gold Ed.
- "home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.civ4.plist" file
- "home folder\Library\Preferences\com.aspyr.civ4warlords.plist" file if you have Civ IV Gold Ed.
Then you install Civ IV from your DVD to the newly created disk image named "caseinsensitive". I additionally created a folder structure on the new disk image using these shell commands (don't know if they're needed):
- mkdir /Volumes/caseinsensitive/Documents/
- mkdir /Volumes/caseinsensitive/Documents/Civilization\ IV
- mkdir /Volumes/caseinsensitive/Library
- mkdir /Volumes/caseinsensitive/Library/Preferences
- mkdir /Volumes/caseinsensitive/Library/Application\ Support
- mkdir /Volumes/caseinsensitive/Library/Application\ Support/Civilization\ IV
Finally you just start Civ IV from the new disk image. Happy gaming!